Central Brooklyn Martin Luther King Commission
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
PLEASE READ OR PRINT OUT THIS ENTIRE DOCUMENT!!!
THE 34TH ANNUAL DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING ART, ESSAY & POETRY CONTESTS
CENTRAL BROOKLYN MARTIN LUTHER KING COMMISSION, SPONSOR
The 2019 Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Art, Essay & Poetry Contests
Students from Grades 4 through 12 who EITHER live in Brooklyn OR who attend a school in Brooklyn.
Special recognition will be given to participating schools and educators.
To develop critical thinking skills and artistic expression through the philosophy and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – and to apply those skills and artistic inquiry to today’s world.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN 11:59 PM ON FEBRUARY 28, 2019.
Cash awards, certificates and t-shirts will be presented during our Dr. King Celebration on or around April 6, 2019.
Mark your calendars now and plan to be there for Brooklyn’s oldest and best MLK Celebration!
● Students should submit outstanding material. Go to our website for background information.
● Entries must be submitted on-line through this Contest Portal. Students submit using their own names, even if they use parent or teacher emails. Improper entries will be disqualified; please send questions if you are unsure of the application or the submission process.
- Entries will be judged in accordance with the Submission Rules (please read them all on our website!)
- See our Suggested Reading List for some research sources
For additional information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Marsha at (347) 599-2061.
Before using the portal, make sure you have reviewed the CONTEST BOOKLET from our website and have this information handy.
- Your Full Name
- Your Gender ("Male" or "Female")
- Your Age (How old will you be on January 16, 2017?)
- Your Grade (4,5,6,7,8,9,10.11, or 12)
- The Full Name Of A Parent Or Guardian
- Your Full Address (including apartment number, if applicable, and zip code)
- The Best Phone Number To Reach You
- An Alternate Phone Number
- The Best Email Address To Reach You
- The Full Name Of Your School
- The 4-Character School Code (Example - "K999")
- The Zip Code Of Your School
- The Full Name Of Your Teacher Or Contest Contact
- The Best Email Address For Your Teacher Or Contest Contact
- The Title of Each Contest Submission (you may enter each contest, but each submission must have an appropriate title)
- For An Art Submission, take at least one good quality picture (.jpg or .jpeg or only) to upload. YOU MAY INCLUDE THE TITLE OF THE WORK, BUT DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME OR SCHOOL IN THE PICTURE OT THE FILE NAME.
- For Each Essay or Poem Submission, a Word document (.doc or .docx) MUST be uploaded. If you have trouble creating a Word document, please let us know immediately (email@example.com). THE TITLE MUST BE INCLUDED IN THE DOCUMENT, BUT DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME OR SCHOOL IN THE FILE OR THE FILE NAME.
- For A Poem Submission only, you may also submit a video or audio file of you reading your poem -- .mp4, .mov, or .mp3 only. THE TITLE OF YOUR POEM SHOULD BE INCLUDED, BUT DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME OR SCHOOL IN THE FILE OR FILENAME AND DO NOT SHOW YOUR FACE. The purpose is to have the audio only.
PLEASE TYPE YOUR INFORMATION CAREFULLY. TAKE YOUR TIME. FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US WITH ANY QUESTIONS. ERRORS WITH NAMES AND ADDRESSES AND PHONE NUMBERS CREATE COMMUNICATION CHALLENGES LATER ON.
THE EXECUTIVE BOARD